Typically, your home is one of your largest investments. Your homeowners insurance offers you protection against loss resulting from home-related damage or disaster.
Home owners insurance policies are generally standard throughout the U.S., but the coverages and terms will vary depending upon the type of dwelling being insured and the scope of protection being sought.
Here at Lindquist Insurance, we have been helping homeowners like you protect their homes and possessions for many years. If your home is in Maryland (MD), Virginia (VA), Washington (DC), Pennsylvania (PA) or West Virginia (WV), then our experienced agents in both Frederick and Annapolis, Maryland can help you too.
Why carry homeowners insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home, your possessions or to others while on your property.
- If your home is destroyed or damaged by natural disaster or fire, you will need money to replace or repair it.
- If you are a victim of vandalism or theft, you can be reimbursed for your loss.
- If a visitor to your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage can help pay expenses.
- If you have a mortgage on your home, your bank might require you to carry insurance.
Homeowner Insurance Coverage
Homeowners insurance is sometimes called a 'package' type policy because it reimburses you for both damage to your property and covers your legal responsibility (liability) for property damage or injury you or members of your family might unintentionally cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets. Typically, when you purchase home owner insurance, it will include four essential types of coverage.
- Structural insurance protection covers partial or full cost to repair/rebuild a dwelling that has been damaged by various covered disasters, and it often can include other detached structures on your property if used personally such as storage sheds and garages.
- Personal property insurance reimburses for your losses up to the limits of your policy when your personal belongings are damaged, stolen or destroyed by various covered disasters anywhere in the world.
- Liability insurance covers you up to the limits of your policy against lawsuits or claims from others for damage to property or bodily injury caused by your negligence or that of your covered family member or household pets.
- Additional living expenses are paid up to the limits of your policy during the repair/rebuild process if you must live away from an uninhabitable home damaged by a covered disaster.
Damage caused by most disasters is covered, but there are exceptions. The most significant are damage caused by earthquakes, floods and poor maintenance. You must buy specific coverage on a policy for earthquake insurance and/or flood insurance. Home maintenance-related issues are the homeowner’s responsibility.
What are Your Home Insurance Needs When Relocating?
Are you relocating to MD, DC, VA, PA or WV? Whether you are planning a move to our region or perhaps already live in the area, why not review your homeowner insurance policy needs with one of our experienced agents who knows the guidelines for your state and who can discuss the many options and discounts available?
The scope of your insurance coverage and options depend entirely upon the policy and the insurance company providing it. This website is not intended to advise, offer or bind coverage. You should always discuss your insurance issues with professionals such as a licensed and qualified insurance agent like those at Lindquist Insurance before making any decisions or choosing a course of action.